Community of Murray River
Rural Municipality of Murray River, PEI
Incorporated 1955 | Population 337 (2021 Cencus)
Ten Ways To Enjoy the Rural Municipality of Murray River
1. Attend a ceilidh in the historic Murray River Hall on MacInnis Road. Click on the events page on the web site.
2. See where our shipbuilding history took place. Walk or drive along Riverside Drive and park after you cross the one-lane bridge. Look closely and you will see a large oval-shaped depression in the ground on the shore of the river. Here sailing ships were built and launched into the river at high tide.
3. Take a boat tour from the Murray River wharf. Enjoy the scenery along the river, watch for seals and learn about the mussel industry of PEI.
4. Take a half-hour stroll along Mill Street passing a working sawmill and a protected pine stand. See a corner of MacLure’s Dam and the old grist mill. Come back to Main Street along Riverside Drive.
5. Go along MacInnis Road and turn right on Horton Lane. Stop a moment for a photo at the headwaters of Murray River. You may see a great blue heron fishing for a meal or other wildlife native to the area. Afterwards, go slowly along Riverside Drive to rejoin Main Street.
6. Hike or bike our part of the Confederation Trail. Park near the post office and go either go east towards Murray Harbour or west through the village and on into forested uplands. Not far from the village is the Beck Trail; a local trail system popular with hikers and bikers
7. Like old cemeteries? Go along the Gladstone Road and turn right on the Pioneer Cemetery Road. Read the history of our early settlers in their gravestones. This site can also be reached on the eastbound Confederation Trail.
8. Take your canoe or kayak on the non-tidal waters of MacLure’s Dam (no motor boats allowed). Watch for wildlife at the water’s edge. The fall colours are beautiful here in Murray River, Prince Edward Island.
Enjoy the people, and majestic scenery!
Rural Municipality of Murray River
1066 MacInnis Street
Murray River, PEI
Mayor is Paige Hart
Chief Administrative Officer: Paula Pater-Voogel
Emilio Cupello, Michael Franklin, Greg Munn, Walter Munn, Mary Ritchie
Office Hours: Monday & Thursday 9AM – 3PM
Council Meetings: Second Tuesday of the Month